Unity Game Development Blueprints Released!
My fifth title, and first Unity title, is now out!
In this book I took feedback from my previous books and added a lot more emphasis to the coding aspect of game development, and tried to give readers a good foundation in game development using Unity. I even have a chapter on using Untiy’s new GUI system introduced in 4.6! In fact, I plan on using this content in my classes in the future.
You can pick it up from Packt’s website here.
Here, just for fun, is an overview of the content from the series from the publisher’s website:
About This Book
- Create a wide variety of projects with Unity in multiple genres and formats
- Complete art assets with clear step-by-step examples and instructions to complete all tasks using Unity, C#, and MonoDevelop
- Develop advanced internal and external environments for games in 2D and 3D
Who This Book Is For
If you want to build enticing projects with Unity, this book is for you. Readers who are familiar with the basics of how to create simple projects in Unity will have an easier time.
Table of Contents
What You Will Learn
- Use Unity’s new 2D tools to create a twin-stick shooter from scratch and learn what Unity has to offer
- Explore both of the available GUI systems built into Unity (including the new one introduced in 4.6) to learn about their pros and cons while creating dynamic healthbars and building a menu system that can be used in all of your future projects
- Create environments that are as realistic as possible, while maintaining peak performance and removing repetitiveness
- Get tips and tricks on how to create environments using Terrain for outdoor areas and a modular workflow for interiors as well
- Modify already existing code to fulfill your own game’s unique mechanics
- Craft AI that will move around the world and interact with players
- Package your game for release, create an installer, and get your game out into the world
Unity 3D is a powerful and popular game development tool that has taken game developers by storm. It is a cross-platform game engine, enabling you to write your game once and then port it to PCs, consoles, and even the Web, making it a great choice for both indie and AAA developers. Unity combines serious power with a friendly, easy-to-use interface.
Unity Game Development Blueprints takes you on an exciting journey where you’ll learn how to use Unity to its best by building a project in 2D, then a 3D game with 2D gameplay, and finally a 3D title.
An easy-to-follow guide with each project containing step-by-step explanations, diagrams, screenshots, and downloadable materials. Concepts in Unity and C# are explained.
John P. Doran
John P. Doran is a technical game designer who has been creating games for over 10 years. He has worked on an assortment of games in teams with members ranging from just himself to over 70, in student, mod, and professional projects.
He previously worked at LucasArts on Star Wars: 1313 as a game design intern; the only junior designer on a team of seniors. He was also the lead instructor of DigiPen-Ubisoft Campus Game Programming Program, instructing graduate-level students in an intensive, advanced-level game programming curriculum.
John is currently a technical designer in DigiPen’s Research and Development department. In addition to that, he also tutors and assists students on various subjects while giving lectures on game development, including C++, Unreal, Flash, Unity, and more.