Greetings and Salutations! My name is John Doran and I’m a game designer soon to graduate from DigiPen Institute of Technology (in Redmond,WA), I just finished a Game Design Internship at LucasArts and I’m currently a teaching assistant at DigiPen’s Singapore campus. My passion is making games better in every way that I can through my design philosophy. I also help others to become better game designers by sharing my knowledge in classes and through my blog. I now live in Singapore and I’m glad that you’re here.
My Design Philosophy:
- Be the Player’s Advocate.
- If something is worth doing, do it right.
- Playtesting + Iteration = Polish
Gameplay Video – 2D Platformer – Lunaris
C++ game designer on a team of 7, building a competitive 2D racing platformer
Gameplay Video – 2D “Time Traveling” Platformer – Tim-E
C++ game programmer on a team of 4, building a time-travel-based 2D platformer
- Have designed and built 4 year-long videogames, on teams of 2 to 70
- Fluent in C++, ActionScript 3, UnrealScript, and Python
- Lifelong boardgame and D & D player
- Excellent visual & cinematic sense (8 years as award-winning video editor)
- Good at finding what’s fun, prototyping quickly, playtesting, and balancing
Gameplay Video – Custom Level – UnrealEd 3
Designed entire level; implemented custom game type, checkpoint system, and behaviors in Kismet and UnrealScript
Gameplay Video – Custom Level – UDK Mod “Unreal Demolition”
Designed levels within framework of a UDK mod.